Monday, July 4, 2011

Lemon & Blueberries - Oh My!



My grandson is visiting for a week - and what would coming to Grandma's house be without some homemade baking! I wanted to make a special treat for him.

Blueberries are coming in to season here in Michigan, so I decided to make some muffins with my two favorite flavors - lemons and blueberries.

Lemon Blueberry Pound Cake Muffins

1/2 cup butter, soften
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon peel (fresh lemon zest would work best - but I did not have any so I just used dry lemon peel)
1-3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup fresh blueberries


In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla extract and lemon peel (for fresh lemon zest).



Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream. Stir in blueberries.



Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.


Glaze:

1 cup confectioners sugar
1 to 2 tablespoon lemon juice

Mixed together and drizzle over cooled muffins.

I serve on the glaze on the side for those who want to add top their muffins.

Yields 12 muffins.

No comments: