Saturday, March 13, 2010

Enjoying a Meatless Favorite

We are right in the middle of Lent, and so on our menu this time of year includes meatless dishes. One of my most favorite meatless meals is Potato Pancakes. They are absolutely terrific - and we actually eat them not only during Lent - but all year long! My friend Ann taught me how to make them about 15 years ago. I've changed the recipe a little by adding more spices, onions and garlic to the mix. They are also great as a side dish to meat and a toss salad. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Potato Pancakes

4-5 potatoes - shredded - I leave the skins on, but if that freaks you out - go ahead and peel them.
1 onion - shredded (I run the onion through my food processor along with the potatoes)
1 egg - beaten
2-3 gloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon fresh nutmeg

Mix all together. Drop by spoon full into hot frying pan with oil. Flatten slightly. Fry until both sides are golden brown - this takes about 5-7 minutes depending on how hot you have your oil and how thick the pancake is. When done, move the pancake to a paper towel lined plate, sprinkle with a little more salt.

I like them with a dollop of sour cream, Bill adds ketchup instead. I've also heard of some adding applesauce - which would be great if you were serving them with a pork dish.

Enjoy!

No comments: