Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Better Option

One of the things that many find surprising - sometimes it is just as easy to put together a rice dish from scratch as it is from a mix - and it is so much better - both in taste and nutrition.

This is one of my favorite sides - it goes with just about anything from chicken to pork chops.  I recently made it for a family dinner serving it with a turkey breast - and I have to say - everyone was very happy with the flavors and I had very little left over.

Calico Rice
1 cup medium grain rice
1/2 cup of shredded carrots - or at least finely chopped.
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 tablespoon snipped parsley (I use the dried parsley from Penzeys Spices)
2 tablespoon finely chopped onion
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules (instead of the bouillon - I found I like to use a tablespoon of chicken soup base from Penzeys Spices)

In a 10x6x2 inch baking dish or 1 1/2 quart casserole combine rice, carrots, celery, parsley and onion.  In saucepan heat chicken broth, butter, bouillon (or soup base) to boiling.  Pour over rice mixture.  Cover bake in 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes or till rice is tender; stir after 20 minutes.  Makes 6 servings.

No comments: