Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oldie but Goodie

I was going through my recipe files and came across some old favorites that I am planning on share with you over the next few posts.  I know, everyone seems to have a version of this cake in their files - this is the one I like the best.

Our church has a dinner club where you are invited over to a church member's home and meet different members of the church.   and then the next month - you are with a whole new group of people.  The host makes the main dish and then the guests are asked to bring something for the meal. We've hosted a few of the dinners and it is so much fun to get to know the people you are in church with.  I am Catholic and there are so many families who attend the other Masses then the one we normally attend - so there are plenty of new friends to make.  This fall we were asked to bring a dessert to one of the dinners - and I remembered this cake - it was a big hit!

Dump Cake
1 can cherry pie filling
1 pkg yellow cake mix
1 cup shredded coconut
1 can chunk pineapple - drained
1 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped nuts - I prefer pecans for this recipe - but you can use what you like

Spread the pie filling in the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch pan.  Arrange pineapple chunks over cherries and then sprinkle the dry cake mix over the fruit.  Pour the melted butter over the cake mix - try to be even as you pour to insure you have the butter over the whole cake.  Top with the coconut and nuts.

Bake 1 hour in a 350 degree oven.

I like to serve with a scoop of ice cream.

Easy to make (one dish - yea!) and everyone will love it!

Enjoy!
Theresa

No comments: