Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Gardening Time Has Begun Again!

Wow! I can not believe it has been over a year since my last post - where has time gone?! 

Last summer gardening was a bust with my broken leg - the garden when to all weeds - Bill helped out a little, but it is not really his thing.  We did get some tomatoes, peppers and squash from the garden, but not much.  Well my leg is all healed up and I'm ready to get my hands dirty again.

I've cleaned out the front flower beds and planted a few things to fill in.  This year I thought I would try Inpatients in front of the shrubs - it is shady there most of the day.  The flowerbed by our back deck is mostly perennials, so I only needed to fill in with a few of my favorite Zinnias.

The herb garden is non-existent this year, mint has completely taken it over.  I have found that Roundup does kill it.  So this year will be a cleaning year for that garden with hopes for a full and fabulous garden next year.

Now on the my vegetable garden - what a mess!

 I've cleaned it out once this spring, but with all the rain we have gotten - the weeds have returned.  I was able to spread Roundup around the path ways earlier this week and noticed that the weeds are starting to die back.  I will work on them some more before I bring in the mulch.  My mother-in-law found a wonderful article last summer which I am planning on trying.  It said to laydown a layer of cardboard under the mulch to help put a barrier to the weeds.  I will share more on this once I get to that point in my gardening project.

Today, I was able to get two of the raised beds cleaned out and planted before the threat of rain ran me inside.  I am so excited to see the plants in the ground. 

I'll fill you in on what I planted in another post.
Happy Gardening for now!

No comments: