Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Vegie Garden Update

It's a rainy day here in Michigan, so I thought I would take the time to give you an update on my garden.  It is all planted, and I have about three quarters of the mulch distributed in the pathways around my raised beds.  I need to get another half a yard of mulch to finish the project.  You can see in the picture - I have all the sides completed, just need to do the center.  I am laying down a layer of cardboard first, then topping it with the mulch to help control the weeds.

This year I planted:
  • Tomatoes
  • Green Peppers
  • Yellow (Summer) Squash
  • Zucchini
  • Buttercup squash
  • Butternut squash
  • Pumpkins
  • Cantaloupe (which is new for me - we grew them as kids in my mom's garden)
  • Cabbage
  • Brussels Sprouts (which are also new to my garden)
  • Swiss Chard (hoping to entice my sister-in-law to visit this summer - I know this is her favorite...lol)
  • Strawberries (I decided to change over one of the raised beds - planted six plants this year, will add to it next year).

The Swiss Chard is finally up, it is the only thing I planted from seed this year.  I just love that instant gratification of seeing the beds full right after you plant.

I had issues with something getting under the fence and eating my plants - I had to replant tomatoes (twice!) and my zucchini.  To stop it - I scattered used kitty litter and mothballs (Thanks Jodi for the suggestion).  I also really worked the mulch up around the edges to the fence to fill in any gaps.  This has appeared to work since I am not missing any think else.

Tomatoes, squash and strawberries are all in bloom - I keep checking to see if I can see any fruit developing.

Happy Gardening!

No comments: