Thursday, February 6, 2014

Being Bless with Less!!

I found a wonderful book - entitled "Blessed By Less" by Susan Vogt.  I've heard her speak on EWTN Radio sharing about her book and how she got started.  She decided one year that during Lent she would give-up one item a day as her Lenten Sacrifice.  She found that it was such an eye opening experience of letting go of items that after Lent, she decided to do it for a whole year - letting go of over 1200 items during that year.

I was so excited about this concept, I decided this would be a good Lenten sacrifice for me too.  I have just under 3 weeks before it begins, and I've already began looking at my home, picking out items I am going to give up. 

I decided there are 4 ways I will give-up an item - Sell it (such as on Facebook, Craigs List or Ebay), Put in the Garage Sale, Give-away or throw away.  I promise that anything left from the Garage Sale would go to Goodwill.  There will be three criteria for deciding to give an item up -- one - have I used or wore the item in the last 2 years, two - is it something I am tired of -- lets be truthful -- there may be a perfectly good sweater/top/dress that I can still wear -- but I've worn it so much I just am simply tired of it, and three -- could someone else get better use of the item than I am right now. 

Susan book challenges me to really think about what is important in my life - what are the things I need to have a good life and what items are holding me back.

Susan choose to blog about her experience each day during Lent to help keep her honest - I think the same would be true for me.  So, I invite you to check-in with me as I post every day beginning on Ash Wednesday.

My goal is to free my life from clutter and remove items that are in the way between my relationship with God.  I think this Lent will be eye opening - and I hope you are inspired too!

No comments: