Saturday, July 25, 2009

Composting

My next garden project will be to start a composting system. This will provide me with needed nutrients to add to my garden soil perhaps by fall, or at very latest by next spring. I've done some research on the subject and found several different types of composters. It can be as simple as a pile in the corner of your yard to a system where you move compost from bin to bin as it deteriorates. You do not need to build your own system, there are many different styles of composters all ready made, but this option can be very costly (plus it takes all the fun away for building something yourself). I like the style here at this link http://www.composting101.com/building-a-bin-article.html . Now I need to sweet talk Bill into helping me build it...lol.

Some may ask what is composting and why should I bother. Ingredients of a compost include grass clippings, dead leaves, and vegetable kitchen waste. This is a great way of disposing of these items that is more natural than sending them to the landfill. It is very import that you do not add diseased plants, plant parts that contain thorns, weed seed heads, or meat, fat, or bones from the kitchen. To aid in the speed of the deterioration in the compost, ingredients can be chop or shred. The compost should be turned several times during the season and watered. What you have at the end is a rich dirt consistency that is spread and turned into the garden. It is the most natural way to add nutrients and fertilizer into your garden.

No comments: