Monday, December 14, 2009

The Lowdown on Short Ribs

I love to try new things and this past weekend I stepped outside of my comfort zone and cooked a new dish. Bill was my willing victim...ahhh taster.

I have been watching for a while on the cooking shows how they make Short Ribs. I thought they always looked so yummy...but I've never had short ribs and had never cooked them. But with steadfast determination I cooked them on Saturday.

One thing, they are not cheap...I paid almost $10 for a pound and a half at Meijers...which was just enough for Bill and me. But I must say...they were worth every penny. I have now became a fan of Short Ribs.

I followed Paula Deen's recipe as follows:

Short Ribs

3 pound short ribs - I used half this amount for 2 servings

House seasoning - made of salt, pepper and garlic powder (I make my own and put it in an old salt shaker)

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

Oil - I used Crisco solid

2 cloves garlic, chopped, plus 2 more cloves chopped

Water

Beef broth

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 onion sliced - we love onions - so I did 2

White rice for serving - I cooked the rice in beef broth to tie it to the ribs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Season ribs liberally, or to taste with house seasoning. Lightly dust with 2 tablespoons flour.

In a dutch oven, place a small amount of oil. Add the 2 garlic cloves and cook until lightly browned. Add the ribs and brown on each side. Add half water and half beef broth to cover ribs. Bring to a boil. The recipe did not specify how long to cook them in the broth - once they came to a boil, I cooked them for about 10 minutes. Remove the ribs from the dutch oven and place in a casserole dish. Add the remaining garlic, salt and pepper, onions and about 1 cup broth to the ribs (I used the cooking liquid from the dutch oven). Roast ribs for 2 hours. Again, the recipe did not specify, but I covered with foil.

Served over buttered white rice.

No comments: