Sunday, June 21, 2009

Weeds


I have made an awesome discovery, well in my world it is awesome, that a planting bed that was taken over by weeds, once you clean them out.....they do not give up the fight....lol.
My herb garden in point. The plant bed I made into my herb garden was waist high with weeds when I started. I dug up the weeds and cleared out as much of the roots as I could. Added a couple bags of new garden soil and peat moss. But each day as I go out to survey my little garden delights, I see to my horror new weeds have also popped up. But what the weeds to not know, is the fact that I have too much "Tuttle stubbornness" in me to give up the fight. So each day (when it is not storming), I have been trying to spend at least 1-2 hours working on fighting the weeds and cleaning my gardens. I decided on this amount of time for three reasons. 1 - I need sun on my legs which are still a little white - but as you may have noticed when I was in Italy I burn easily and should not over do the exposure. 2 - the time seems manageable to me - not too much that I feel overwhelmed by it or I will die if I put in the time. And finally 3 - I need the exercise - 1-2 hours of bending and stretching and pulling and raking is good for me without me doing the "old lady" walk in the morning.

Getting back to the weeds and the planting beds, as I was just out pulling up weeds, enjoying the sounds of the birds at the feeder, the warmth of the sun and the smell of my flowering honeysuckle, I began to ponder the weeds as a metaphor for life. Ok, I know I'm going "deep" here, but please bear with me...as you clean out areas of your life from the weeds, the weeds don't give up real easily - it takes daily tending before you can "win" over the bed - and daily tending before you have won over the area of your life you are trying to change.
Thanks for visiting...happy gardening!

No comments: