Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Adding a Little Spice to a Kid Friendly Dinner

I was digging through my stacks of old recipe cards yesterday (what did we do before everything was on a computer...lol) - I am to make the treat for the Bible Study on Friday morning and wanted to find something different. (I'll share what I found for that in my next post.) While I was looking, I came across a recipe that I have not made in years. It is one that I made when Jason was little - fast, easy and kids will eat it - what more could a busy mother want. Today, we like our food a little more spicy, so I added Italian sausage to my original recipe and made it for dinner tonight. Give it a try, and you will have a new fix it fast dinner too.

Easy Macaroni Casserole

1 jar pasta sauce (your favorite flavor)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 lb. elbow macaroni - cooked
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 lb. Italian bulk sausage
1 - 3 oz. pkg. pepperoni - cut in halves
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped (or if you cheat like me - 2 heaping spoonfuls of jarred chopped garlic)
salt & pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese

In a skillet, cook the sausage, onion, and green pepper to sausage is cooked through and onions and peppers begin to brown. Add pepperoni and garlic. Cook until pepperoni is warmed - be careful not to burn the garlic. In a dutch oven, add the cooked pasta, pasta sauce, meat mixture, mozzarella cheese and salt and pepper. Mix well. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake in 375 degrees for 30 minutes - until cheese is melted.

Serve with a toss salad and garlic bread.

Enjoy!

No comments: