Friday, October 16, 2009

Turning To An Old Faithful

Do you have one of those "go-to" recipes? Today I felt like making a casserole and decided to turn to one of my "go-to" recipes - Chicken and Rice Bake. I like this one better than the recipe my mom made when I was a child. I've used this recipe for almost 30 years - wow, putting that in writing just made me feel old..lol.

Hope your family enjoys this as much as my family does.

Chicken and Rice Bake

1 can Golden Mushroom Soup
1 cup milk
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 - 3 oz. can chopped mushrooms
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 cup regular rice (uncooked)
1 - 10oz. pkg. frozen peas and carrots, thawed
1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
Paprika

In bow stir together mushroom soup, milk, dry onion soup mix, undrained mushrooms, salt and pepper. Reserve 1/2 cup of the soup mixture and set aside. Stir uncooked rice and thawed vegetables into remaining soup mixture.

Turn rice mixture into a 12 x 7 1/2 x 2 - inch baking dish; arrange chicken pieces atop of rice mixture. Pour reserved soup mixture over chicken, sprinkle chicken pieces with paprika. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375 degrees till rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

Makes 4 to 6 serving.

No comments: