Friday, October 23, 2009

Enjoying an Autumn Treat


An apple a day...keeps the doctor away. Or so it is said...it did not say you could not enjoy an apple baked into a wonderful, tasty dessert...lol

As I was saying in my last post, I was searching my stack of old recipe cards from something different to make for my Bible study group. I wanted something that did not need a knife and fork (finger food), I'm not big on cookie baking but thought I might have a bar the fit the bill. I came across this recipe...I actually think it was from my high school cooking class - boy, does that take me back. Apples this year are very afforadable. We had lots of ran this summer which produced a bumper crop of apples.

The recipe made a nice little bar dessert, that was a hit at the Bible study this morning. I hope you will enjoy it too.


Applekuchen (Apple Cake)

2 1/2 cup all purpose flour

1 Tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup butter

2 Tablespoon milk

2 eggs

3 cups sliced peeled apples - I used figi apples, but granny smith would be a good choice too

Sift dry ingredients together. Cream butter and sugar, add dry ingredients, milk and egg. Press the dough on bottom of a greased 9 x 13 pan (I floured my hands to help keep the dough from sticking to my fingures). Press apple slices into dough so they over lap. Sprinkle with topping.


Topping:

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 Tablespoon butter

Mix topping ingredients together, cut in butter until coarse crumbs appear.

Bake 375 degrees for 50 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Theresa these were soooooooo good. Thanks for sharing the recipe here! Lynne