Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Adding Spice to Life

I absolutely love cooking with a variety of spices. They can add such depth to a recipe and bring out wonderful flavors from your meats.

This past fall I spied a new spice shop close to our home (on Alpine Ave - in the strip mall behind Taco Bell) and took some time in December to check it out. I was blown away. The variety and the prices were wonderful. The store is Penzeys Spices. They have jars of all of the spices available for you to smell. There are several stores located across the United States, but you can also order online.

The newest spice I bought last weekend (actually received it for free since I signed up on their mailing list and received a coupon - yes Jan and Jean - I used a coupon...lol) is Cajun Seasoning. At first when you hear the work "Cajun" you think of HOT...but it really is filled with savory flavor. It is a blend of sweet paprika, salt, celery, sugar, garlic, black pepper, onion, oregano, cayenne red pepper, caraway, dill, turmeric, cumin, basil, bay leaf, mace, cardamom, marjoram, rosemary and thyme. I added 2 teaspoons to my Chili that I made this week - and we could not believe how much better it tasted.

So, don't be afraid...embrace the spice!

Happy Cooking!

No comments: