Sunday, January 10, 2010

Chili - Theresa Style

One of my "go to" winter dishes is Chili - I just love it. My Chili is definitely not traditional - but is very yummy and tummy warming.

I've developed this recipe over the years of trying different flavors and textures. I've made it both with beef and a more figure flattering turkey. My chili is little thicker - more the consistency of a stew rather than a soup and have just enough spice that it warms the back of your mouth as you swallow. Lately I've been making it in the crock-pot which produce just a little thinner chili than when I make it on the stove-top, but it is all good.

It is such a wonderful feeling coming home after work (and yes, THANK GOD...I am working again) and opening the door to a home filled with warm smells of dinner.

Chili - a la Theresa

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey
1 large can (or as in my case - quart jar of home canned) tomatoes
1 can (or as in my case - again pint jar of home canned) stewed tomatoes - if I am buying stewed tomatoes - I look for with Mexican Spiced or some may say ready for chili - if you can not find them - don't worry - purchase the regular steweed tomatoes and just kick up the amount of chili powder you add.
1 large can of hot chili beans - undrained
1 onion - chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
1/4 - 1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic salt
chili poweder to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Direction:
Cook beef/turkey with onion and green pepper until the meat is cooked through and the onions and peppers are tender (note - if you are cooking with turkey - add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan to cook the meat in).

Transfer the meat mixture, tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, and beans to your crock pot. Break-up tomatoes as you stir the mixture together. Add seasonings and water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.

We like to top our bowls of chili with cheese (either shredded Colby or taco cheese) and enjoy it with nacho chips.

Enjoy!

No comments: