Monday, August 24, 2009

Canning Tomatoes


Today I canned my first 4 quarts of tomatoes. With what is still on the vines, I think I should have enough for another 4-5 quarts by the end of the week.

There is such a feeling of pride and satisfaction associated with it. I know I can easily run to Meijers and pick up a can of tomatoes for about $1. But by canning my own, I know what is in my quart jar, I know that outside of a teaspoon of salt, the only thing in my quart is tomatoes, and I know how those tomatoes were grown. I also feel there is also this connection with the past. I was raised in a family where you had a kitchen garden, and you put away for your family for the winter. I am connected to all the women who came before me who did this simple task. And I know come winter, it will taste wonderful when I add these tomatoes to a chili, a spaghetti sauce or a soup.

No comments: