Friday, August 21, 2009

My New Compost Bin

I was successful at "sweet talking" Bill into creating my new compost bin...lol We followed the directions at the link I posted before. The bin is made up of 5 layers which allow for air to flow between each layer. Bill cut pine and screw it together in squares. The bin was finished off with a wood preservative.

Composting is the most natural way of providing your gardens with fertilizers. All natural ingredients are allowed to decompose into a rich composition which provides important nutrients. Small gardeners like my self really need to add nutrients into our gardening areas since we tend to not have the space to rotate our crops a great deal each year. Yard waste such as grass clippings and leaves will really help. I will also add weeds that I've pulled (and have not developed seed heads) and kitchen vegetable scraps (no meat products). A small amount of newspaper is also ok. The compost will need to be turned every now and then to keep the material from matting together and ensure even decomposing - the final product is called Humus.

Picture 1 is Bill building the bin (notice that I was able to sneak in a picture of my Ohio State banner in the background - Go Bucks!...lol). In pic 2 we see the first 2 layers. Dean gives his "Cat Approval" in pic 3 (I hope he was not thinking this would make a "cool" kitty litter box). And finally we see the finished product in pic 4. We placed the completed bin on the back side of my potting shed. It is close to the garden and out of site from the house.

Thanks sweetie for building my bin!!









No comments: