Sunday, August 9, 2009

Green Beans

I picked my second batch of green beans on Saturday. There were enough for 2 meals. Green beans are something that you must keep picking to keep the plants producing. The more you pick, the more beans you will continue to get.

When I was a kid my mom, who always had a huge garden, would pressure cook green beans with bacon, onions and potatoes. The flavors were wonderful, but the beans always came out mushy. So I wondered if there was a different way to achieve the same rich flavors while keeping the beans crispy. Here is my solution.




I start with frying (in my favorite cast iron skillet) chopped bacon and onions.

At the same time I steam the beans. (I found the nifty steaming rack in Holland a couple of years ago when Vanessa and I was shopping).

Once the bacon and onions are cooked, and the beans are at the tenderness that I like, I moved the beans to the skillet (yes, I keep all the bacon grease in the pan). I seasoned with salt and pepper and allow the beans to cook a little longer (3-4 minutes) - absorbing some flavor from the bacon and onions. Tossing all the items together in the skillet.



And then we are ready for dinner. This provided me with crispy beans, but also the favor of the bacon and onions with them from my childhood. I am sure you could add fingerling potatoes to the bacon and onions to add another texture and flavor.
Try this at your next meal! Enjoy!

No comments: