Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Zucchini Bread


I've had some questions on how I like to cook Zucchini, so I thought I would give you some basic recipes. To begin I wanted to share with you one of my favorite uses for Zucchini, Zucchini Bread.

Preparing the Zucchini:

I had this huge Zucchini, which is too big to fry, but perfect to use to make Zucchini Bread.

I started by cutting the squash into large chunks. Because of the size this squash had large seeds, so I scooped them out and discarded. If your zucchini is small, you do not need to clean out the seeds.




And then I grated the Zucchini. I have this small version of a food processor, you can also use a box grater.


I had more than I needed for my recipe, I packaged 2 freezer bags with 2 cups each grated Zucchini - this winter I will be able to pull a bag out of the freezer and bake up some fresh Zucchini Bread.



The recipe I use is a basic Zucchini Bread recipe. I add a couple of extra spices to make it my own.

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
I add: 2 teaspoon ground clove
1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups white sugar
3 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:
Grease and flour 2 8x4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and the spices in to a bowl.

Beat eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

Enjoy!

No comments: