Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Chasing Away the cool Autumn Nights

Fall is knocking at the door, a few trees have started changing colors, and the cool nights have begun. I have to say, that I am in my glory with all my warm to the tummy one-pot dishes. This has become one of my favorites, and now it is Bill's too; we just had it this past weekend.

I originally began this recipe to use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey, but now I like it all fall and winter long. I changed the recipe to use store bought rotisserie chicken, but if you want, you can oven roast a chicken yourself or substitute turkey. It's easy to make and I assure you, your family will really enjoy it. What better way to chase way the cool nights than with a warm comfort dinner.

Chicken Stew with Dumplings

For the Stew:
1 rotisserie cooked chicken - picked off the bone and chopped in bit size pieces
3 Tablespoons of butter
3 carrots, chopped (I leave the peel on, but it's your choice)
1 onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
6 cups chicken stock (if I do not have enough stock - I use 1 box of stock, plus 2 cups of water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
2 Tablespoon minced parsley
1 teaspoon dried poultry seasoning
1 Tablespoon Chicken Seasoning (I found this wonderful mixture at Frankenmouth, but I think you can find something like it in any grocery store)
Salt & Pepper to taste

For the Dumplings:
2 1/4 Cup Bisquick
2/3 cup Milk
3 Tablespoon fresh minced parsley

Directions:
Melt the butter in a large pot, I like to use my dutch oven. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and potatoes. Cook until the vegetables begin to soften and brown a little. Begin adding the stock - 1 cup at a time. Make sure to stir and scrap the bottom of the pan to pick up all the bits on the bottom from browning the vegetables. Continue until all the stock is added. Add seasonings. Cook on medium another 10 minutes or until vegetables are fork tender. Add chicken. Bring, stew to a soft boil.

Mix the Bisquick, milk and parsley together in a bowl. Drop the dumpling mixture by spoonfuls on to the low boiling stew - do not stir the dumplings in, allow them to sit on top of the stew. Cook uncovered for 5-8 minutes. Cover stew and dumplings and continue to cook for another 5 - 8 minutes. It is done when the dumplings feel firm to the touch (the dumplings will continue to be white) - you may see one split open a little - that is ok - they are done.

Serves 4.

Enjoy!

No comments: