Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown


Well, not exactly the "great" pumpkin, in fact far from it...but a girl can dream can't she? I saved the seeds from a couple of the pumpkins I bought last fall to decorate our home for our House Blessing/Open House party. One was white and the other I am call heirloom - it was not the traditional jack-o-lantern style pumpkin instead it was flater with a soft orange and green coloring. I planted a hill from both seeds. Both forms of pumpkins came up. The white pumpkin produced one pumpkin, but the plant did not last and I have a pumpkin about the size of a soft ball. The heirloom pumpkin has done much better. I have two very large, aggressive vines crossing over the garden with one pumpkin each. Both pumpkins are still growing and current the size of a dinner plate.

Well, it's time to do some more cleaning out of the garden. The summer squash is ready to be taken out. I need to harvest the corn and cut down the corn stalks. I am planning on using the stalks to decorate the front of our home for fall. This is my most favorite time of the year. The trees begin to change and dance with color. The air feels cool and clean. And who does not like apple crisp....but that will be another blog posting.

No comments: