Saturday, September 12, 2009

Florence Inspired Risotto


Risotto can be a little intimidating for those who had not made it before. I know that was the case for me, and I had even seen my professor make it when I was in Italy in 2005. But after watching the Food Network (I'm a huge fan! - my cats, if you don't know, are Paula and Dean - as in Paula Dean - hahaha) any way I digress. Once I tried making risotto a couple of times and got the knack of the rhythm of adding the liquid - it can be very simple. The risotto that I had at the Plazza Della Signoria in Florence this last May was very delicious and was made with a mixed vegetable, appearing to be the same blend as frozen mixed vegetables we have here at home (corn, beans, peas and carrots). After I returned home, I played with it a little and developed what I would consider very close to what I had experienced in Florence.

The risotto in Florence was made only with vegetables - no meat, but here at home I have added ham to satisfy Bill. I was telling him tonight as we ate our risotto, I think the next time I make it, I am going to try cooked chicken to see how that turns out.

Theresa's Vegetable Risotto

1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil (I know all the recipes say "good olive oil" but it's what your budget can handle)

1 1/2 Tablespoons butter (yes, I use butter and not margarine - makes all the difference in the world)

1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (or risotto rice - they are the same thing - you just can not use regular white rice)

1 cup of white wine (use what you drink - don't feel like you have to buy some snooty expensive wine - unless you drink snooty expensive wines...lol)

5 cups of chicken stock (warmed)

Salt and Pepper to taste

2 Tablespoons of herbs to taste

1 - 16 oz. bag of frozen mixed vegetables - thawed

1/2 cup cubed ham

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet until the butter is melted. Add the rice and simmer over low heat until the rice slightly browns - continually stirring. Add the wine all at once. Stir until most of the wine is absorbed. Now here is where you need to develop a rhythm - and do not leave your risotto alone. Begin ladling in the warmed chicken stock - one ladle at a time, stirring until most of the stock is absorbed before adding another ladle. You continue this until all the stock has been ladled into the rice, this process could take around 25 to 30 minutes. Do not rush the process or your will end up with hard, undercooked rice. Add the herbs of your choice (in this picture I only used parsley) about half way through.

Once the last of the stock has been added and almost completely absorbed, add the thawed vegetables and ham. Continue stirring until the vegetables are warmed. Take off the heat, add the Parmesan cheese - stir until the cheese is melted.

Now, sit back and enjoy with a nice glass of the white wine. Once you try it, I am sure you will be make risotto like a pro!

2 comments:

Supriya said...

Looks very good! I love your enthusiasm for cooking and gardening!

Supriya

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouraging words Supriya...hope you are enjoying the recipes...I have a million of them...lol

Theresa