Monday, September 14, 2009

Visiting the Ponte Vecchio in Florence


Close your eyes and envision a street packed with beautiful jewelry shops on both sides, with windows looking over the Arno River, and you have envisioned the Ponte Vecchio. During our visit in May, Vanessa and I were drawn to this bridge several times to shop and take pictures. Much of the jewelry was absolutely breath-taking. Vanessa found a lovely ring here. I reinforced my believe that I have very good taste - since everything I liked was way out of my price range...lol. I realized when I was pulling pictures together for this posting, we did not get a picture of one of the shops for you...guess we will need to return to Florence sometime soon to take that picture for you.

The Ponte Vecchio is the oldest bridge in Florence, built in 1345. One reason for this is because it is the only bridge not destroyed during World War II. We were told during one of our tours Hitler left it standing to celebrate that it was the bridge he crossed into Florence. Originally the bridge was full of butchers, tanners and blacksmiths. In 1593 it was changed over for workshops for the goldsmiths.


No comments: