Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Ash Wednesday

And so Lent begins.

This project I am doing for Lent is not all for getting my house in order, that is one of the side benefits.  I am hoping to with each donation, each giving to someone else I will step by step detach myself from the things around me to move my focus to the One who matters the most.

In a recent prayer group setting we studied "Consoling the Heart of Jesus" by Father Michael Gaitley - if you have not seen this material before, I highly recommend it - very eye opening and heart lifting.  But anyways, I digress, in this study we learned about the "First Principle" which is:

The First Principle and foundation teaches that we're made to live the "first thing" 
(a life of praise, reverence and service to God) by using "second things" (the other 
things on the face of the earth) only insofar as they help us to live the first thing.
                                                                                                               By St. Ignatius

And this is why I feel this Lenten Project will help me to move closer to God.  I know this will be a struggle each day -- I may not feel like doing it or be tempted to try to do several days at once.  This is where your help will come in.  By checking in on my blog and posting comments you will be helping me to stay accountable.  I hope that you may be inspired as I was when I read Susan's book and find this a blessing in your life too.

Today I took my more dresser dresses to the cedar closet downstairs, and found all my suits stored there.  I pulled out a couple to keep (you always need a nice blue suit on hand for funerals, etc) and prepared the rest along with a few of the tops I had to go with them to take to the Women's Resource Center on Friday.  The center offers for free, help to women who are looking for work from resume building, job searching, interview coaching and even clothing to wear for interviews.  I know someone will be bless by these suits and hopefully this clothing will give them the confidence to find the perfect position.

No comments: